Rensselaer provides employees with 10 paid holidays per fiscal year, which runs from July 1 to June 30. In general, Rensselaer observes the holidays listed below:
|New Year’s Day||Labor Day|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Thanksgiving Day|
|President’s Day||Day After Thanksgiving Day|
|Memorial Day||Christmas Day|
|Independence Day||Juneteenth (Effective 2024)|
The Institute will be closed during the Holiday Winter Break from Saturday, December 23, 2023 through Monday, January 1, 2024. The Institute will reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2024. Staff will code four (4) Appreciation Days as “OTH” as listed above.
The Holiday Schedule and Holiday Winter Break Appreciation days for the 2024 fiscal year are as follows:
|HOLIDAY/WINTER BREAK||OBSERVATION DATE||DAY OF WEEK|
|Independence Day||July 4, 2023||Tuesday|
|Labor Day||September 4, 2023||Monday|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 23, 2023||Thursday|
|Day after Thanksgiving Day||November 24, 2023||Friday|
|Christmas Day||December 25, 2023||Monday|
|Appreciation Day (OTH)||December 26, 2023||Tuesday|
|Appreciation Day (OTH)||December 27, 2023||Wednesday|
|Appreciation Day (OTH)||December 28, 2023||Thursday|
|Appreciation Day (OTH)||December 29, 2023||Friday|
|New Year's Day||January 1, 2024||Monday|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||January 15, 2024||Monday|
|President's Day||February 19, 2024||Monday|
|Memorial Day||May 27, 2024||Monday|
|Juneteenth||June 19, 2024||Wednesday|
- Employees are eligible for designated holiday pay beginning on their date of employment.
- To be eligible for holiday pay, an employee must work on the last regularly scheduled workday preceding the holiday and the first regularly scheduled workday following the holiday, or on the holiday itself.
- All employees working at least 20 hours per week are eligible for holiday pay.
- When an employee is absent from the last scheduled shift before or after the holiday, or is scheduled to work on the holiday and does not do so, payment for the holiday will be made if the reason for the absence is personal illness, surgery (medical certification of the illness may be required), the employee is on vacation and the holiday falls during the vacation, the employee is on military reserve duty (not to exceed eight weeks), the employee is on jury duty, or if a member of the employee’s immediate family has died.
- All new hires will have their first eleven months of PTO accrual deposited into their PTO bank on their date of hire.
- Unused PTO above 200 hours will be transferred into a Reserve Time Off (RTO) bank at the end of each fiscal year. There will be no maximum on the size of the RTO bank.
- Employees may use any available RTO to supplement their Short-Term Disability beginning on the sixth consecutive business day of absence due to illness or injury. Rensselaer will supplement four hours per day with Short Term Disability. Such absences must be documented and certified, in writing, by the employee’s attending physician.
- Rensselaer employees who are classified as an executive officer or administrative officer earn 9.67 hours PTO time per pay period, up to a maximum of 232 hours (29 days) a year.
- Employees may be eligible for a payout of accrued and unused Paid Time Off (PTO) in accordance with the provisions of Human Resources Policy 1300.1, PTO Program, which includes giving appropriate notice as outlined in the Human Resources Policy 500.1. Additionally, you must be present at work from the date of your required length of notice notice until the official date of separation. Also, a payout of accrued and unused PTO is only available to regular, full time employees; employees in Fixed Term positions are not eligible.
|Status||Length of Notice|
|Non- Exempt||2 Weeks|
|Director and Above||4 Weeks|
- RTO is never paid out upon separation or retirement.
- All scheduled PTO must be pre-approved in writing by the employee’s supervisor.
- Eligible employees will be allowed a maximum of five days bereavement leave, with pay, in the event of the loss of an immediate family member.
Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual Rates
|Years of Service (Staff)||Annual PTO Accrual Rates||Per Pay Accrual Non-Exempt 26 pay per year||Per Pay Accrual Exempt 24 pay per year|
|First year||144 hours/18 days||N/A||N/A|
|Second through third year||168 hours/21 days||6.46||7.0|
|Fourth through sixth year||200 hours/25 days||7.69||8.33|
|Seventh through tenth year||232 hours/29 days||8.92||9.67|
|Over ten years||248 hours/31 days||9.54||10.33|